Thursday, September 17, 2020

OLDHAMMER: Skirmish on Rynn's World!

 I think I owe Aiden and Curtis a beer.

Or maybe a new set of figures from my studio?

Or perhaps a tank? Or a robot? Or a robot tank? 

Original 1987 Rogue Trader Space Orks and Space Marines.

  This, my first blog post, is a retro-posting in more than one way. It's a fond reminicing of my experiences at the BOYL (Bring Out Your Lead) 2018, held at Wargames Foundry just up river from Newark on Trent. But it's also about the glee I had for finally running the classic Rogue Trader 40k scenario, "Skirmish on Rynn's World; The Battle of Jadeberry Hill". With mere months to go before the annual Oldhammer meet-up, I reached out to fellow gamers who I hardly knew offline. Aiden of Warfactory and Curtis of Ramshackle Games.

(Visit Warfactory  and Ramshackle Games ). 

  Aiden's enthusiasm for the project was infectious, and Curtis' put alot of energy into coordinating. Between the two of them and their experience with running past Oldhammer tables, I had reason to hope they could pull it off. Because I was flying over from San Francisco, all the custom scenery would need to be brought by Aiden and Curtis (Who lived just a few miles closer).

White Dwarf issue 94, the very next month after Rogue Trader is published.
 

  The Battle of Jadeberry Hill was a Holy Grail of Oldhammer in my eyes. Written by Rick Priestly and published in White Dwarf 94 (the very next month after the debut of 40k), it was the first battle scenario made for 40k, and was the start of many things to follow. It was a tidy setting, with unique plot points, and a suitably epic backdrop. And I could not understand why there was no sign of anyone having ever actually played it out. With help from the guys, I hoped to rectify that. Here are the pages to the original 1987 article.







   So I had the old 1987 miniatures coming together nicely, but the building of the table was a bit concerning. The centerpiece of the scene was Jadeberry Hill, and the entrance to the Underzoom that lead a highway beneath the Pakamak River to New Rynn City. The components also needed to be made in such a way that it could be transported to BOYL with little hassle. I set to work drawing up some propositions based upon the original map from the article, the size of the table being used, and the suggestions written by Rick. 

The original map from the article.
The grid breakdown.

Adjustments to spacing.

A proposition to expand the table for more players and tactics.

What ended up being the final layout.

A 3D representation of how the Underzoom could be cut out of foamcore panels.


  Could the guys make something like this? Would they make something like this? I remained hopeful as I finished up the Crimson Fist Space Marines and Space Orks we needed. Into my backpack, I stuffed two Chessex army boxes full of these guys, and boarded my plane.


My Crimson Fist Space Marines force was composed of all original metal figures from 1987 (The same year the scenario was published). Even the backpacks were metal. Note the hex bases used too. 

I didn't have much time for unique paintjobs, so I "assembly-lined" the Space Orks with a range of drabs and browns to contrast their Orky green flesh. Only a few highlight colors were used. These figures were also all original 1987 metals.

With little room to spare in my luggage, I packed my figures as tightly as possible into to old Chessex boxes.

  When the day arrived, Aiden not only came through with the hill, the highway, and the underzoom, he also supplied the trees for the Jadeberry orchard, several abandoned vehicles, craters, and a crashed ornithopter prop! 

  And even though I had originally offerred to help run the game, in the end I just played a third of the Space Orks, Aiden & his son ran the other two thirds, and it was Curtis who tirelessly ran the table for us. Jesper Moberg and Alex Jelly commanded the New Rynn City Guard's defense.

Curtis brought Aiden's scenery and set it up. This picture shows just how faithful Aiden was to the original scenario map.

The main difference the guys made was to add more ground on the Eastern edge.

The Highway was littered with abandoned vehicles.

Though I originally imagined glued flocking, they made efficent use of painted fleece to great effect.

The Space Ork deployment zone was along the entire Southern edge. Aiden's son ran the Ork right while he ran the center.

We all felt it was resonable to add sandbag defenses considering the humans anticipated the assault.

Rick Priestly suggested that the Northern edge (behind the hill) could represent the shore of the Pakamak River.

The downed Ornithopter made for effective cover, but was the last stop before a long stretch of exposed ground.

A structural lip above the Underzoom entrance served as an improvised defense position.

Behind the sandbaged position, Huron Grimm redies his New Rynn Guard for the onslaught!

We couldn't get many "jadeberries" onto the alien orchard trees. Maybe they had just been harvested before the invasion? 

My Space Orks advanced rapidly onto the Guard's right, looking to use the orchard as cover.

Rick's Space Ork reinforcement rules piled on, fortunately Aiden provided even more classic Space Ork figures.

The range between the Guard position and the cover of the Ornithopter was covered by the Guard's heavy weapons.

Space Orks stalling behind cover? A shameful display! I think this was Aiden's son being cautious.

Jesper's New Rynn Guard moved through the orchard and toasted my Space Orks trying to advance on the right.

Several Space Orks survived the flamethrower, but they soon were sent into a panic after their tactic had been foiled.

More Space Orks enter the battlefield, promisding to overwhelm the New Rynn Guard if they don't leave soon.

The Space Orks finally dash out from behind the Ornithopter, but Alex Jelley's Guard on the hill is ready for them....

Again with the flame throwers! So much for the first wave of Space Orks.

The Space Orks near the center move up through the cover of the abandoned vehicles.

Aiden pushes even more Space Orks accross the open ground.

Even MORE Space Ork reinforcements move in and take cover while under missile fire.

My second wave of Space Orks finally begin moving through the orchard....

But my Space Orks advance is again thwarted, as Jesper's Guard deliberately sets the orchard alight!

The New Rynn City Guard squads, still mostly intact, begin to move to fall back into the Underzoom.

But the Space Orks have brought a heavy weapon into range, and open fire!

Startled by the casualties sustained in the burning Orchard, my Space Orks decide to seek out an easier victory somewhere else off the Western edge.

A last minute showdown as Jesper and Alex try to fall back through the Underzoom in an orderly fashion.

And the Orks finally see an opportunity to open fire! How did this battle end? I can't remember! I think the humans escaped in time. But what really mattered to me was that the battle was finally played out properly. We did it!

  And so.. after two years since returning to San Francisco, I came accross these images in my archives, and the records of my back-and-forth with Aiden and Curtis over the details. And I read this forgotten line from Curtis, "I would be happy to build these items if needed but would need to ask for at least a token payment. Work is work!"

Did I give him that "token payment"? Did I even thank Aiden properly? I don't remember doing so..... Uh oh!  I might be in trouble when I return to BOYL in 2021.

If YOU were one of the other BOYL guests there, who came over and took pictures or videos of this battle as well, please send them over and I'll add them to the post. 

Cheers!

The attendees of BOYL 2018 at Wargames Foundry near Newark-on-Trent.


7 comments:

  1. Cracking battle report 😍 the gaming board is awesome, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome game. Love the terrain and models.. I really need to get more of my marines painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome report! Looks great - great to see this played out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome report! Looks great - great to see this played out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a load of fun.
    I remember fondly playing both the Battle at the Farm and the Jadeberry Hill scenarios with a friend of mine. Your game looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jadeberry Hill is a much under appreciated scenario. It works really well as written (which is more than can be said for Battle at the Farm). I’ve got a handful of photos from this game but nowhere near as many as you took. I hope you make it to BOYL 2021 - should see you there. Aidan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great. This is the first I'd heard of this scenario. I've played 'Battle at the Farm', of course, but this battle looks a little more balanced. Really nice.

    Also, it seems that you have a "Johnny" (Brother Craig).

    ReplyDelete

Skirmish on Rynn's World; an Oldhammer Battle

Oldhammer Fun: My "Citadel Colour" Paints

My private little collection of Citadel Colour paints is all I need. Well, that and a few good brushes. Warning: This is another frothy Oldh...